Please download the following documents for next year’s placement audition. Each packet includes detailed directions and the required etude and scales.
The deadline for submission is Friday, March 31, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
Check out our YouTube Playlist with professionals playing the excerpts.
I would like to clarify that the audition is only a part of the determining factors for next year’s orchestra placement. What you do everyday makes the biggest impact. Daily behavior, attitude, work ethic, home practice, performance progress and potential are all considered. For incoming freshmen, your middle school teacher’s recommendation will be taken into consideration.
Finally, each orchestra must have an appropriate balance of the different instruments and open seats will be filled to maintain this balance. Current AHSO students who were accepted into All-State Orchestra are exempt from auditioning (incoming freshmen are not excluded and must audition).
If you choose not to audition, you will be placed into the AHS Philharmonia.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
LGPE is here!
All four orchestras will be performing at GMEA District 5 Large Group Performance Evaluation next week at Chattahoochee High School! The student have been working extremely hard to prepare their programs for the judges.
Performances are open to the public, so if you are able to make it, we would love the support.
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
- 11:30 Excused from class
- 12:00 Leave for Chattahoochee
- 1:00 Warm-Up
- 1:30 Performance
- 2:00 Sight Reading
- 2:30 Return to AHS
- 1:35 Excused from class
- 2:00 Leave for Chattahoochee
- 3:00 Warm-Up
- 3:30 Performance
- 4:00 Sight Reading
- 4:45 Return to AHS
Thursday, February 16, 2017
- 2:45 Excused from class
- 3:15 Leave for Chattahoochee
- 3:45 Warm-Up
- 4:15 Performance
- 4:45 Sight Reading
- 5:30 Return to AHS
- 5:00 Leave for Chattahoochee
- 6:00 Warm-Up
- 6:30 Performance
- 7:00 Sight Reading
- 7:45 Return to AHS
- Students should bring their uniforms to class on their assigned day.
- Parents wishing to take home their child directly from Chattahoochee HS must provide Dr. Laux with an email message or written note.
- Philharmonia students should plan on bring their lunch on Tuesday
Chaperones Needed for LGPE!
Dr. Laux needs chaperones to ride the charter bus and manage students while at LGPE. Fulton County requires 1 chaperone per 12 students. If you sign up, please be at Alpharetta High school on time, charter buses will leave promptly at the designated times.
Again, many congratulations to Richard Cho, who won the Georgia Philharmonic‘s concerto competition! He will perform the Vieuxtemps Violin Concerto number 5 this Saturday at 7PM in the Lassiter Concert Hall in Marietta. We are so proud of you!!
- Students will receive audition etudes for the 2017-2018 school year orchestra placements.
- We will complete a short solo & ensemble unit, where each student will perform either a solo and/or small ensemble for the class.
- We will begin making preparations for the Spring Concert and graduation ceremony