Professional coaches will be coming in over the next week to run sectionals. Please welcome our sectional coaches! You can read more about them here.
- Dr. Emily Laminack, violin & viola
- Mr. Joshua Chari, cello
- Mr. Gabriel Monticello, double bass
Sectionals will take place during class on the following days:
- Friday, January 20 – viola
- Monday, January 23 – cello
- Wednesday, January 25 – bass
- Thursday, January 26 – violin II
- Friday, January 27 – violin I
Welcome Dr. Barket!
Dr. Barket, orchestra director at Webb Bridge Middle School, will be teaching orchestra classes at AHS on Tuesday, January 24 and Dr. Laux will teach the day’s classes at Webb Bridge! It should be a fun day for all and a great way to have “another set of ears” in the AHS Orchestra rehearsals.
Goal-Based Practice Assignment
For Chamber, Sinfonia, and Symphony students only!
- Choose an 8-12 measure section in your LGPE music that is challenging you.
- Set some specific goals for your practice.
- Then, while capturing a video, explain what measures in what piece you are about to work on and why.
- Next, video yourself practicing this part for about 3-4 minutes. This assignment is about the PROCESS, not the product.
- Submit your video to your OneDrive folder. Specific instructions are here.
Due date is Saturday, January 21 at 11:59 PM
GMEA Conference Absence
Reminder: Dr. Laux will be out next Thursday and Friday, January 26/27 for the GMEA conference. Students should make good use of that class time to practice their LGPE music!! We only have about 15 rehearsals left!
LGPE Preview/Formative Performance
Our unofficial preview concert will be on Tuesday, January 31 during each class period. We will use comments and a recording of this performance to help direct the next few weeks of rehearsals, leading into LGPE.
Congratulations to the following 14 students for being accepted into the 2017 GMEA All-State Orchestras! We are excited that you will be representing AHS in such an exemplary way. We are also very proud of every student who put in the effort and courage to play audition.
The orchestra and conductor along with instrument and chair placement is below.
11/12 Full Orchestra- Steven Amundson, Conductor
- Daniel Barket, Principal Bass
- Alan Ko, Viola, 2
- Sitara Mysore, 1st violin, 22
11/12 String Orchestra- Bill Bitter, Conductor
- Alexis Forrest, 2nd Violin, 12
9/10 Full Orchestra- Allen Tinkham, Conductor
- Adam Wang, Cello, 7
- Olivia Barker, Harp
- Richard Cho – Concert Master
- Eileen Liu, 1st violin, 12
- Vivia Lung, 2nd violin, 9
- Michelle Cho, 2nd violin, 18
- Sarang Pujari, 2nd violin, 19
9/10 String Orchestra- Dr. Christopher R. Selby, Conductor
- Kaci Xie, Viola, 1
- Jenny Heo, 1st violin, 6
- Derek Wang, 2nd violin, 7
Greetings and Happy New Year!
I hope you all have had a great break! It was nice to relax and catch up with family and friends. I want to thank you all for your generous gifts — I was so moved by your thoughtful cards and notes. I’m extremely grateful to be your director and an AHS Raider!
Please see the important items below…
All-State Auditions, Round Two
GMEA just announced this morning, because of the impending snow, accompanied by below freezing temperatures on Friday evening and Saturday morning, that All-State auditions have been POSTPONED until NEXT SATURDAY, January 14, 2017.
All audition times will remain the same. Please note that there will be no make up auditions for students that can’t attend next Saturday because it would compromise the integrity of the auditions.
See the list of audition times! (pdf)
LGPE – Large Group Performance Evaluation
The next 6 weeks will be intense with LGPE, so I hope you are ready for the ride. We all need to buckle down and set aside some serious time for home practice. I understand how busy you are, but we must prioritize. We will be discussing how to set realistic practice goals and strategies to maximize your time. You may not think that you matter, but the group is only as strong as its weakest link. Everyone matters and contributes to the orchestra as whole! You all have a big responsibility.
LGPE will be hosted at Chattahoochee High School this year. Please double check and clear your calendars for the following dates.
Tuesday, February 14: Philharmonia@ 1:30 PM; Chamber @ 3:30 PM
Thursday, February 16: Sinfonia @ 4:15 PM; Symphony @ 6:30 PM
Here’s to an amazing 2017, everyone!!